- Save, don’t splurge. I prefer to spend less money on trendy items. It’s my way of “trying the trend” without breaking the bank. It takes all of the risk out of it! I don’t want to look at my closet full of trendy pieces next season and think about all of the money I’ve lost on items I no longer love. I’ve had some amazing luck at stores like Target for some fun trendy summer pieces this year!
- Buy pieces that can transition into the next season. Trends never just stop being popular out of nowhere so it’s likely that they’ll still be in style for months after they peak in popularity. For this reason, it’s a good idea to buy pieces that will not only look great right now, but when the weather changes in a few months. Let’s take off the shoulder for example, I’ve tried to buy some with short sleeves, some with long, some thinner materials, and some thick. They are way more versatile this way and i’ll get more wear out of them. I bought a white cold shoulder dress for Spring/ Summer and recently wore it with a green military jacket and booties… versatility is key!
- Go with classic colors. I know i’m always a neutrals girl but hear me out. Classic colors will always be in style! Neutrals typically become “staple” pieces in my wardrobe much more often that bright colors and patterns do. I know I won’t get sick of white, grey, nude, black, or navy and i’ll get so much use out of it.
- Don’t go overboard. It’s really easy to get sucked into trends, trust me, I know. When my feed is constantly filled with 839210 different versions of the same trendy piece, I try to convince myself I need one of each. However, I’ve learned that if I fill my closet with these types of items, I always have buyers remorse later on. My advice? No repeats! If you have a gorgeous pair of espadrilles that you love, you probably don’t need that extremely similar pair you saw on Instagram.
- Wait it out. I’ve trained myself to not go out and buy into every trend I see. I like to give myself a little bit of time to form my opinion on it. After seeing these pieces pop up everywhere for a couple of weeks, I typically know pretty quickly whether I am tired of seeing it and don’t need it in my wardrobe or love it and can see myself rocking the trend too!
I hope my personal pointers helped you guys out with navigating all of the fun trends popping up all over the place! These tips have truly helped me maintain a wardrobe I love while still staying current.